How to Install Minecraft PE Mods - Android, iOS, Windows 10
- Addons for Android
- Addons for iOS
- Mods for Windows 10
Addons for Android
Mods have been popular for a long time for Android but it’s only now (in 0.16.0) that add-ons have been introduced as an official feature of the game. And the best part is that it supports all operating systems such as iOS, Windows 10 Edition, Amazon/Kindle and Android!
On this page we have compiled a couple of different guides which you can use to install Minecraft PE add-ons, ModPE scripts or BlockLauncher addons.
In this tutorial we will show you how to download and install addons for Minecraft Pocket Edition on your Android device.
Some add-ons are downloaded as a .mcpack / .mcworld file. These new file types automate the process of installing add-ons and maps.
- First make sure you’ve got the latest versions of ES File Explorer!
- Open the ES File Explorer app once you’ve downloaded an .mcpack or .mcworld file.
- Go to your Downloads folder.
- Find the .mcpack or .mcworld file and click it to import it to Minecraft Pocket Edition. The screen might go black for a while but just wait for it to load!
- If you installed an add-on, don’t forget to apply the resource pack and/or behavior pack when creating a new world or editing an existing world!
If the add-on you downloaded is a .ZIP or .RAR then use the following tutorial:
1. Make sure you’ve got the latest update for Minecraft Pocket Edition. It will only work for versions above 0.16.0.
2. Go to our section for add-ons and find one which you want to install. For this example we downloaded the More Chairs Add-on.
3. Next you will need ES File Explorer (or any other file manager app) to extract the downloaded zip file. You can find all your downloaded files in your Downloads folder.
Long-tap on the zip file to select it. Then press the “More” button in the bottom right corner. And then press “Extract to”.A window should now pop up. Press “OK”.
4. Open the new folder which was created when you extracted the zip file.
5. Sometimes an add-on includes just one folder. But most of the time they will include two folders as it did in the case of the More Chairs Add-on.
Copy the [Textures] More Chairs by Genta folder. To do that long-tap on the folder and then press Copy.6. Go to the following location: /games/com.mojang/. You can get there by going to “Internal Storage” in ES File Explorer and then open the games folder, and then the com.mojang folder and there you will find the game files for Minecraft Pocket Edition. Let’s have a look at the folders here to get a better understanding what they are used for:
- behavior_packs – usually related to add-ons
- minecraftpe – don’t touch this folder
- minecraftWorlds – used for installing maps
- resource_packs – sometimes used for add-ons
7. Open the resource_packs folder and paste the folder which you previously copied: [Textures] More Chairs by Genta.8. Go back to your Downloads folder. Open the add-on folder and copy the second folder: [Behavior pack] More Chairs by Genta.
9. Then go back to /games/com.mojang/ but this time open the behavior_packs folder and paste the copied folder here.10. Start Minecraft Pocket Edition.
11. Create a new world or edit an existing world. In this case, we’ll create a new world.
12. Select all the game options you want and then scroll down in the left sidebar and tap on Resource Packs and apply the More Chairs Add-on.
13. Then tap on Behavior Packs in the sidebar and apply the More Chairs Add-on there as well.
14. Open the world. The add-on features obviously depends on which you installed but in this case it added a few different chairs to the game.
The following tutorial works only for .js and .modpkg files.
1. Download the BlockLauncher app.
2. Go to the mods section on MCPE DL and find the mod you want. For demonstration we’ll use the Achievements Mod. Click the download button.
Some of the download links will send you to an adf.ly page. To get to the download page press the top right button on the adf.ly website screen.
Different mods link to different download locations. In this case the download link brought us to MediaFire. Click the download link in the top right on the screen to get the .js file. This guide works for .modpkg files as well.3.Launch Minecraft Pocket Edition and open up the BlockLauncher menu and select “Manage ModPE Scripts”.
4. Select “Import”.
5. Select “Local storage”.
6. Select the “Download” folder.
7. Select Achievements v1.1.js and it will install.
8. And it’s installed!
Other Options of How to Install a Minecraft PE Mod
As you can see on the image below there are four different options when importing/installing a mod. (Explanation of each option found below the image.)
Local storage: You download the mod and import the downloaded .js file to Minecraft Pocket Edition.
Treebl’s official repo: A code which you can get from a modder. A fast way to install mods but few modders support the option.
Web address: When clicking some download buttons for mods you get to a website with lots of code of the .js file. If you want, you can copy the web address and add it here and it will be loaded from the web address. The downside with this is that it will require an Internet connection.
These mods are native addons which usually are more complex than ordinary ModPE (.js, .modpkg) mods. They are also more difficult to code.
You will need BlockLauncher which is an Android app to use these mods.
1. Once you’ve downloaded a BlockLauncher addon (.apk) then use ES File Explorer to locate the apk file in your Downloads folder.
2. Let the installation run and once it has completed open Minecraft Pocket Edition using BlockLauncher.
3. To make sure it is enabled tap on the wrench icon in the top center of the screen.
4. Tap on “Launcher options”.
5. Scroll down in the list and tap on “Manage addons”.
6. Here you will find a list of all your addons. If you want to disable an addon then tap on it and select disable or delete.
7. Once you’ve checked so that everything is OK then go back and go in-game and see if it works!
Addons for iOS
In this tutorial we will show you how to install add-ons on your iOS device. It should work for everything from iPhones to iPads. Anyways, let’s get started!
Some add-ons are .mcworld or .mcpack files. If it’s a .mcpack file then a notification will appear letting you know if the pack has been successfully imported to your game. If it’s a .mcworld file then Minecraft Pocket Edition will be automatically launched and a world with the add-ons automatically opened.
If it is a .ZIP or .RAR then please use the following tutorial to install the add-on:
The tutorial is complete as it is, but we’ll make sure to add some more images and a video soon as well.
1. Download and install iFunbox which is a free file manager software available for both Mac and PCs.
2. Plugin your iOS device into your computer using a data connection cord. It’s a standard iOS cable which usually comes with the device.
3. Browse our section for add-ons using your computer and find one to download. For this example, we are going to use the More Chairs Add-on.
4. Open iFunbox and click the “File Browser” tab in the top left corner.5. Find your device in the left sidebar. You might need to expand the available items by clicking the plus symbol for “Connected Devices”.
Then click on the “User Applications” icon.7. Next you should see a bunch of different icons. Click the Minecraft PE icon.
8. Then a dropdown menu should appear. Click Open Sandbox.
9. Open the games folder and then open the com.mojang folder (still using iFunbox).
10. In this folder you should be able to see the following folders:
- behavior_packs (other addon related files)
- resource_packs (usually for textures)
It’s the highlighted ones (behavior_packs and resource_packs) which are of interest when installing addons.
An addon zip file usually includes two folder. One which you need to add to the behavior_packs folder and another which you need to add to the resource_packs folder.
11. If you are using a Mac computer you can open the zip file which you previously downloaded for the addon simply by clicking the zip file. If you are using Windows then you will need 7-Zip (which by the way is a free software).
Extract the zip file to get two different folders. Sometimes an addon includes just one folder and sometimes multiple. But in the case of the More Chairs Add-on it will include two.
12. Copy the [Textures] More Chairs by Genta folder and paste it in the behavior_packs folder (/games/com.mojang/resource_packs).
13. Then copy the [Behavior pack] More Chairs by Genta folder and paste it in the resource_packs folder (/games/com.mojang/resource_packs).
14. Open Minecraft Pocket Edition. Create a new world or edit an existing one.
15. Scroll down in the left sidebar. There you will see two new tabs. Press the Resource Packstab and apply the More Chairs Add-on.
Then press the Behavior Packs tab and apply the More Chairs Add-on.
16. Enter the world and enjoy the add-on!
As mentioned previously, we will add some more images and a video in the coming days to improve this page!
Mods for Windows 10
In this tutorial we are going to show you how to install add-ons for Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta. Add-ons were first introduced in version 0.16.0!
There are two ways to install add-ons. Some add-ons download as a .mcworld / .mcpack. To install it you need to go to your Downloads folder. Double-click on the file and it will automatically be imported to your game. It might ask you to select an app to open it with. Just select to open it with Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta.
If you downloaded a .ZIP or .RAR file then use the following tutorial:
1. Begin by browsing our add-ons section and find one which you want to download. In this case we are going to try the More Chairs Add-on.
2. The download usually includes either a .ZIP or .RAR file. It’s a compressed file which you need to extract using a program such as 7-Zip or WinRAR. We recommend using 7-Zip as it’s completely free and really easy to use.
3. Find the [Add-on] More Chairs By Genta.zip file on your computer. Normally it is found in your downloaded files. Double-click the zip file (or right-click it and select “Open with…” and select 7-Zip) to open it.4. Select both of the two folders and then click “Extract”.
5. Select the location where you want to extract the two folders or use the default one. Then click “OK”.
6. Open your “Downloads” folder or wherever you selected to extract the folders.
Each add-on is usually a bit different from the other. Sometimes there is just one folder which you need to install and sometimes (as in this case) there are multiple.
Let’s begin by installing the behavior pack folder: [Behavior pack] More Chairs by Genta. Select the folder and press CTRL + C (or right-click it and copy it).7. Once you’ve copied the folder go to the following location on your computer using the file explorer:
Here you will find two new folders
- behavior_packs (usually for textures)
- resource_packs (usually for behaviors, e.g. json files)
Open the resource_packs folder and press CTRL + V (or right-click somewhere in that folder and press “Paste”).
You’ve now installed the behavior pack.
8. Open up your “Downloads” folder again and find the [Textures] More Chairs by Genta folder. Select it and press CTRL + C (or right-click it and select “Copy”).9. Open the com.mojang folder again and then open the resource_packs folder:
Paste the folder here by pressing CTRL + V (or by right-clicking in the folder and click “Paste”).
10. To use it in-game there are still some things left to do. Start Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition Beta.
Create a new world (or edit an existing world). In this case, we will create a new world.11. Add (or edit) all the settings you want for your world and then scroll down in the left sidebar to find two tabs/buttons for Resource Packs and Behavior Packs.
12. Select Resource Packs and add the More Chairs addon from the list.
13. Then do the same thing for Behavior Packs.
14. Enter the new world and you will find some new items in your inventory. Use them to spawn the chairs! This same tutorial works of course for any other add-on!